Today was our first snow day — seriously?!? — which must mean it is winter, which means it is almost time for my birthday and Christmas, which means that elves in my life may be wondering what kind of a present they ought to put under the tree for me. I am honestly at a place in my life where I don’t need very much except time and money (like, house-buying money, not normal money) and did I mention time, but it is always fun to window shop and make Santa Lists. I’ve been working on this list for a while so it’s a little long and funny.
Sweet Little Things
- The gift that keeps on giving would be snacks for lunches. I’m a big fan of Larabars, especially some flavors that are hard to find locally, like Pecan Pie and Dark Chocolate Turtle. I’d also love to try Coconut Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter and Jelly, and Cappuccino!
- In the same vein, Keurig coffee pods are definitely well-appreciated. Some I’ve liked in the past include Donut Shop (regular and decaf), Green Mountain Half-Caff, Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate, Starbucks Blonde, and anything with “caramel” or “cinnamon” in the title. :) I would love to have a bunch of herbal teas, too — I’ve only had a few but really liked them. The latte/mocha ones don’t seem to work as well in a K-cup format for some reason — probably because they are trying to create milkiness without real milk.
- For the last couple of years I’ve wished I had some pretty lights or something for my bathroom for when I want to relax in the tub. I’ve been looking around and thought that something like this Aurora Master ($14.97) had great potential. Plus, it can be moved around so H can enjoy it in his room, etc.! I also found the LED Color Changing Showerhead ($39.99)and thought that was pretty amazing, but not exactly right as it would only work with a shower. I’m not actually tied to either of these particular items; what I want is a small, preferably battery-operated lamp that gives off a soothing low light (could be colored, doesn’t have to be) so that I can turn off the main lights in the bathroom and have a relaxing bubble bath. An ideal light would be bright enough to read by if I wanted.
- I may be the last person in my generation who wears a watch every day, but I do — I wear a Timex Weekender (I have a man-size one and a woman-size one) EVERY DAY, all day and all night. I love swapping out the bands to match my clothes but it drives me nuts that I don’t have a red watchband! I haven’t been able to find a standalone red band to match, but they do have one with the watch included ($36.00), which certainly wouldn’t make me sad or anything. (And how sweet is it in yellow and with flowers? I just wish they sold more standalone straps.)
- Last year I got a pair of moccasins approximately like these and I would love a new pair. I wear them around the house almost year-round. I totally don’t need the expensive LL Bean ones, either — I’ve loved the ones I’ve had this year!
- I know this sounds a little odd but one thing I would really like to have is a cast iron skillet big enough to fry potatoes in.
- I would like to get a better iPhone case (an OtterBox) but they’ve been a little bit hard to find for my model. So I went to the website and guess what? You can DESIGN YOUR OWN. How fun is that? I love the idea of a Deep Water Blue with Citron, but there’s also a Purple with Orange (ha!) or a Teal with Pink or heck — all kinds of pretty color combinations.
- I use MAC “Brun” eyeshadow as eyeliner and have been nursing my current pot of it for a few years now. (Link goes to some random store because I can’t link directly on the MAC site and the Amazon page has it costing almost twice as much!) I have a love affair with MAC eyeshadows and brushes but never buy them anymore because I just can’t justify spending $16 on an eyeshadow when I find something of a similar color for $3 at Walmart, but really, you kinda get what you pay for. While trying to find Brun I found myself intrigued by Ricepaper, Woodwinked (may be too dark), Naked Lunch, and All That Glitters. I haven’t allowed myself to walk into a MAC store in years! Haha!
- I love new clothes but am having a hard time lately because my size has been fluctuating. I wasn’t sure what size (or shape!) I was after H was born… and then I gained some weight in the last year, and things that I thought were fitting have stopped fitting, so I honestly just don’t even know. I can usually wear a size L top. Pants are where it gets very tough; I don’t seem to reliably fit in any given size, so maybe I’d better just stick with maxi skirts! :) I love new pajamas, especially in the flannel pants category; I like a men’s large or a women’s XL in pajamas so that they aren’t binding. Always love good new socks and things like that, too.
- I want to read Lock In and Skin Game and would be entirely happy with a used copy of either and/or both. I’m really not a big fan of paying full price for new hardcover books; I always buy used or wait for paperback. These just happen to be two that I’m pretty anxious to read. I would also like to have the mass-market (pocket-sized) PAPERBACK of Cold Days, because I am collecting the full series in paperback.
Bigger Ticket Items
- A perpetual favorite gift for me is the gift of happy feet. The only problem with the kind of shoes I wear (every day) is that they cost too much, so I tend to get a pair every year or so and then wear them to pieces. I am sorely in need of a new BLACK pair of Teva Tirra sandals (size 9) — mine are officially falling apart after several years of hard use. They won’t make it to next summer. I also badly wish I had a pair in a bright pink (not the soft coral color) but they never seem to be in stock in my size. I know these may seem like weird mid-winter choices, but trust me, the moment it is warm enough I will wear them into the ground. I have a new pair of brown and a new-ish pair of red and would be pretty darn delighted with a pair in any color, but even though it isn’t very fun, I need the black ones.
- I’m also in love with, and would get a lot of use out of, several Alegria styles this year. The saddle-colored Alegria Ella wedges immediately caught my eye; I have a pair of black Danskos in a similar style that I love to wear for dressier days, and these look like they are approximately the same shoe.
- I would love to have the Alegria Bree oxford in any of the colors.
- And if brown and black are too boring for you, aren’t these pewter and bronze pumps adorable? Not sure how often I’d have occasion to wear them, is the only sad thing.
- A safer bet might be a pair of gray shoes, which is a hole in my rainbow of fun-colored footwear — like these cute penny loafers.
- And then there are the Danskos. The cognac-colored Deidra is similar to the Alegria Ella but in a darker brown.
- I squeee-ed a little bit when I saw the Dansko Rebel in teal and purple; colorful shoes are not the most practical thing in the entire universe, but I adore them and have a growing collection that “definitely needs” an infusion of teal and/or violet. Haha.
- Another bigger thing would be this chair, which I fell in love with while H was a babe-in-arms. I know he’d love to sit in it with me, and I sure hope to have future babes-in-arms to swing to sleep in it. Sadly, requires one of these and probably one of these. And, y’know, a place for it….
- It may not seem very present-y but I’d also really like to get some new eyeglasses and I’d like to get our piano tuned up.
Should anyone be in a “you get a car! And you get a car!” mood this holiday season, I want a minivan. Yeah, yeah, I know. The Dodge Journey is really cute in orange. ;)
Miracle on 34th Street-Level Items
I want a down payment on a house. I haven’t found the right house yet though. I wish I could find a house with two stories above-ground, at least partially red brick exterior, gas fireplace, FENCED YARD FOR H (this is the #1 thing I want), and rooms with some architectural interest (maybe arched doorways, or alcove windows, or something). I like houses that look older but need a house that is newer because it turns out we’re not exactly handy around the house. I like trees. I want room for a family to grow; four bedrooms would be pretty cool, 2.5 baths would rock (especially if the master bath had a nice big tub), and I’m wishing for something in the 1,700+ sq ft range. I’m surprised at how many houses I look at online that just don’t stir my interest at all; I want to find something that feels like home.