This “37 Odd Things About Me” Meme is brought to you by the infamous John Green.
1. Do you like blue cheese? I do, actually. The really pungent varieties are to be enjoyed in moderation, of course, and I’m not overly fond of blue cheese dressing, but overall I much prefer blue cheese to green. Given the choice, however, I would probably take gorgonzola instead.
2. Have you ever smoked? I haven’t. However, I have an extremely vivid recurring dream where I’m chain smoking, and it is the most deeply satisfying sensation imaginable. I’m not at all sure where this comes from unless I was a smoker in a past life.
3. Do you own a gun? No.
4. What flavor Kool-Aid was your favorite? I’m with John on this one; my favorite color of Kool-Aid was red.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Not particularly, no.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? I always feel badly for them. Not all dogs can stay indoors in the summer, obviously, but pet owners really ought to provide their dogs with shade and plenty of water. A small kiddy pool can be really good, too.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? Hmm. I suppose it is probably Rudolph – or maybe that one with John Denver in Georgetown, CO. My least favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Story, although I quite liked the stage version.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? A glass of milk (1%) while I’m booting up, and then a hot skinny chai, no foam, after my systems are all up and running.
9. Can you do push ups? Uhm, hello – I’m an old marching band geek. Of course I can do push ups. I’m out of shape, but I used to be pretty darn good at them (for a girl).
10. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? I’m going to exclude my engagement ring from consideration, as it is entirely too easy a choice, and move on to my Hopi angel pendant (silver and fire opal) that I got in Tucson. I wear it all the time.
11. Favorite hobby? My favorite hobby is having Hobby ADD. Although if I’m being completely obvious, my favorite hobby is probably blogging.
12. Do you have ADD? See #11. On a more serious note, no; I just like entirely too many different things and prefer planning and starting projects to seeing them through.
13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? Oh hell yeah. I wear Coke bottle glasses and contact lenses specially designed by Lucius Fox. (My current contact prescription is a -8.5.)
14. Middle name? Danger.
15. Name three thoughts at this exact moment. I have got to get my sleep schedule back in order. I wonder what the job interviewer meant by “soon.” I don’t want to clean the cat box, waah.
16. Name three drinks you regularly drink. Milk (I’m told adults shouldn’t drink milk, but I never did break the habit). Chai tea, when I’m working/taking a class. Diet Dr. Pepper, although recently I’ve replaced that with Sonic’s cherry limeade (half price from 2-4 PM, everyday!)
17. Current worry? Same thing that has been plaguing me all summer: finding a job. It’s not that I “want a job” (although I NEED a job) so much as that I am horribly anxious to begin teaching.
18. Current hate right now? My nose. It is experiencing all kinds of plumbing problems (drip, clogs, etc.) in the aftermath of bad allergies and a nasty sinus-cold. It has swollen up, developed scales, and given my upper lip an ill-timed and ugly cold sore. I am singlehandedly supporting the Kleenex with Lotion industry. “Hate” may be a strong word – it’s not like I want to cut off the poor thing or anything – but it’s the primary thing irritating me right now.
19. Favorite place to be? Oh, goodness. There are so many choices… a Colorado mountainside in September when the aspens have gone gold. Banff National Park, behind the waterfall in Johnston Canyon. A comfy chair with a good book in a perfect-smelling library or bookshop. The bow of a boat on a foggy Pacific NW bay. In bed, tucked under Ryan’s arm, with d’Artagnan and Paisley curled up against the small of my back and the curve of my knees.
20. How did you bring in the New Year? It’s weird, but I honestly have no recollection. And it’s not because I was partying – I’m not sure we did anything! If we did, it was something pretty low-key. I’m not a huge New Year’s party person. The coolest thing I ever did to bring in the New Year was this, for what it is worth.
21. Where would you like to go? Man, anywhere. I have been itching to take Ryan on a trip to Colorado, but that fell through again this summer. I’d also like to take him down through New Mexico and Texas. If time and money were no object, I’d love to see Australia and New Zealand.
22. Name three people who will complete this. As if three people even read this blog! Ha ha ha. Uhm, I nominate Tim Gunn, the porch kitties, and your mom.
23. Do you own slippers? Yeppers. I get a pair of these every couple of years from the alpaca people. This time of year, though, I just live in my Teva Volterras. I take them off to bathe and sleep, and that’s pretty much it.
24. What shirt are you wearing? You would ask this question on a day when I’ve pulled out my goofy bright red aloha shirt featuring technicolor parrots. 🙂
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? I have enjoyed it from time to time, but give me really nice, crisp, white cotton sheets anytime. Especially if they’re stretched over a thick featherbed.
26. Can you whistle? Whistling girls and crowing hens always come to some bad end, which surely means that I am DOOMED. I was pretty old before I learned how to whistle, but I’m a champ now. The trick is to master tonality through exhaling and inhaling. Add that to a large lung capacity and trained ear, plus a propensity for providing myself with a personal soundtrack, and you’ve got yourself a whistling fool. That being said, I would give a lot to be able to do a loud “shut up and pay attention!” whistle like Wally. It would be a pretty valuable tool for a teacher, don’t you think?
28. Would you be a pirate? To quote John (albeit on a different question) “Um, sometimes I feel like this survey doesn’t know me at all.”
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? I don’t sing in the shower. I sing in the car, in the boat, and when trying to cover large distances on foot in a short amount of time. (The latter is conducted under my breath.) In the car, I sing along with whatever is on the radio, often as loud as humanly possible. In the boat, I sing dumb Girl Scout songs and the Discovery Channel “boom-de-yada” song – repetitive songs that are stuck in my memory until the day I die. While walking, I tend to sing/hum/whistle the Colonel Bogey March (what I usually call the Bridge Over the River Kwai March).
30. Favorite girl’s name? I don’t know if I would ever have the guts to saddle a daughter with this name, but I have always liked Anjuli. I love a lot of names – names have been a hobby of mine for a long time.
31. Favorite boy’s name? Hmm. Well, I guess I’d have to go with Christopher. Again, see second sentence of #30.
32. What’s in your pocket right now? Remarkably, not a darned thing.
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Wil Wheaton’s blog post about meeting Randall Munroe. I am defaulting to the second-to-last thing that made me laugh, because I am embarrassed to admit being amused by this video.
34. What vehicle do you drive? Currently, a silver four-door Toyota Cressida, vintage unknown (that is to say, I can’t remember and am too lazy to go look at the registration). I miss my Pontiac’s accelerator.
35. Worst injury you’ve ever had? I suppose I’d have to go with “forceful rearrangement of face by dachshund as an infant,” even though that is ancient history.
36. Do you love where you live? This isn’t a very clear question. Do I love my house? Sometimes. It is showing its age, and I am somewhat overwhelmed by the upkeep of a 54-year-old building. But I am awfully fond of it. Do I love Boise? Almost always. I miss the Colorado Springs area, but I know that it isn’t the same town I remember. Boise is a great place to live, and I could be happy living here for a long time.
37. How many televisions do you have in your house? Two, unless you count the tiny kitchen-counter TV set that doesn’t work.